Exploration and Production The first onshore well was drilled in 1950 in the Ras Al Sadr area. but was abandoned. Drilling resumed in 1958 in the Bab area and oil was discovered. Owing to the encouraging results produced by the first four wells drilled, it was decided to develop the Bab field which came on stream in 1962. While the development of the Bab field was underway, work began on the construction of a 113 km 61 cm pipeline to a site at Jebel Dhanna, northwest of the field which was chosen as the most suitable loading terminal. Work on the pipeline and terminal was completed in 1963 and the first cargo of Bab crude was shipped at the end of the year After the discovery of oil in the Bab field and the conclusion of exploratory work, oil was discovered at Bu Hasa in 1962 oil was also discovered in one of four wells drilled in the Asab region Subsequently two extensions of the Asab field were proven, one to the south named Shah, and the other named Sahil to the north. The Asab field came on stream in 1973, after the drilling of five producing wells which were linked to the pipeline system to Jebel Dhanna by a 200 km, 61 cm pipeline from Asab to Habshan. Following the discovery of the Bab and Asab fields, ADPC started to relinquish parts of its original concession to the govemment in 1965 By the end of 1976, the company’s total concessionary area was reduced to around 32,000 km all onshore. During the 1970s, ADPC’s efforts were directed primarily towards the maintenance of the total productive capacity of the three main onshore fields Bab, Bu Hasa and Asab which reached 1.28 million barrels per day(mbpd) in 1973-74 Main Onshore Oil Fields: Bab: This field was discovered in 1953 and by 1958 its potential had been established. The Bab field is located 80 km southwest of Abu Dhabi city.
The field is 45 km long wide and has an area of about 120 km It produces a high quality 39 40o API crude. In 1974 its average rate of production was already 100,000 barrels per day(bpd) and its production capacity was subsequently increased.
ABu Hasa: This field, which lies some 80 km southwest of Bab and 160 km southwest of Abu Dhabi city was discovered 1962. The field is 35 km long and 19 km wide. Work on its development began at the beginning of 1964 and in 1965 it was connected to the export terminal at Jebel Dhanna. By 1974, Bu Hasa was producing 500,000 bpd from 37 wells whose production rates varied between 6,500 and 40,000 bpd. Asab: This field, which lies 225 km south of Abu Dhabi city was discovered in 1965 and development began during the second half of 1971. Initial production at the beginning of 1974 was 460,000 bpd from 28 producing wells. Asab field is 25 km long, 10 km wide and has a surface area of 250 km3. It produces a high quality 40° API crude Initial offshore Exploration and Production Intensive offshore exploration in Abu Dhabi started in 1953 when a 65-year exploration and production concession was granted by Sheikh Shakhbut to the Darcy oil Exploration Company Ltd. The concession only covered Abu Dhabi’s marine territory, including all submerged lands over which Abu Dhabi exercised sovereignty except for the territorial waters and islands already covered by the PDOTC)- later to become the concession Abu Dhabi Marine Areas Limited(ADMA) was established on May 18, 1954. Initially, two-thirds of ADMA was owned by BP and one-third by CFP, and the Darcy concession was transferred to it on March 22, 1955. Later, in 1972, BP sold 45 percent of its shares in ADMA to the Japan oil Development Company wel les Zak me disc terr fie Pet the this rel Jap dril.
As a result of various survey tests. ADMA was successful in locating several promising geologic structures. The first offshore well was drilled in 1958 on the crest of the Umm Shaif structure, around 97 kilometers from the mainland and in a water depth of 18.3 meters.
The well produced 40° API oil in one limestone zone and natural gas in another. Because of the company’s belief that the Zakum structure was less important than Umm Shaif, the drilling of its first well a zakum was delayed until April 1963. After drilling down to 3558.8 meters, oil was discovered in the a zone and gas in the Thamam Araej zone. In further exploratory drilling between 1962 and 1964. ADMA discovered the small Bundle field on the Qatar-Abu Dhabi territorial waters boundary. ADMA then discovered a number of new but relatively small fields, including the Abu Al Bukhoosh field north of Umm Shaifon the boundary with Inan. Following demarcation of the offshore areas between Abu Dhabi and Qatar in 1970, the Bunduq company was established with a shareholding of one-third each by BP, CFP and the United Petroleum Development of Japan group to develop and operate the Bunduq field which came on stream in 1976. Revenues from this field, which produced 20,000 bpd in 1977. have been shared equally between Abu Dhabi and Qatar. Subsequently, another company, Total Abu Al Bukhoosh, was established to develop and operate the Abu Al Bukhoosh field which came on stream in 1974. On December 6, 1967, a 45-year offshore concession was granted to Abu Dhabi Oil Co. Japan Ltd. ADOCo in an area relinquished by ADMA. The company is owned by a consortium of Japanese companies. On May 4, 1969 the company commenced drilling its first well on the Mubarraz structure and struck 33eAPI oil in the Thamama formation with a production rate of 3,000 bpd.